Official Google Enterprise Blog: Education On Air: Connecting teachers and learners across the worldPosted by Tia Lendo, Google in Education Team
Twelve years ago, in my first year teaching, I often felt very isolated. Not only was my fourth grade class housed in a mobile trailer outside of the main school building, putting physical distance between me and my peers, but I also rarely had time or ways to connect with other teachers outside the school day.
Thankfully, educators and schools today aren’t limited to the resources they have within the 4 walls of their classroom. The web is bringing students and educators together with information and opportunities that we never dreamed were possible in the year 2000. For example, today over 20 million students, faculty and staff engage in real-time collaboration and communication for free using Google Apps for Education.
Today, on World Teachers’ Day, we celebrate all of the amazing teachers around the world by offering them two new ways to connect with and support each other using Google+:
- Education On Air: We have organized a series of over 100 Hangouts On Air that will be led by educators and Googlers. Topics range from “Flipping Your Classroom” to “Weekly Office Hours staffed by “Tech Sherpa” High School Students” to “A Conversation with Sal Khan”, founder of the Khan Academy.
- Topics-of-the-day: Starting Monday we will begin a program of daily content aimed to help educate and inspire. We’ll reshare posts from educators on the following topics:
- “Magic Moment Monday” - Inspiring, magic moments in schools
- “Tutorial Tuesday” - Google Apps tips and tricks
- “Web Apps Wednesday” - Web-based resources and apps
- “Chrome Tip Thursday” - Chrome Ninja tips to make the most of the browser
- “Fabulous Find Friday” - Any fabulous Education resource
- “Show it Saturday” - YouTube EDU content
- “Search for it Sunday” - Google Search Education tips
We encourage you to follow the Google in Education Google+ page and to visit the Edu On Air site to sign up for Hangouts and add them to your calendar. We hope these provide a way for educators to link with their peers so that they can collaborate even after the sessions are over.
In the meantime, check out the highlight reel from some of the 46 Education On Air Hangouts that educators held on May 2, 2012.