Inside AdWords: Today’s Webinar: Google and Forrester Present New Research on the Value of Combining Audience with Contextual TargetingIn the past 10 years the number and variety of new technologies in display advertising have more than doubled, effectively creating new - and better - ways to buy display across the web. With this influx of new display targeting technologies available to advertisers (contextual, remarketing, demographics, interest categories to name a few), our clients often wonder which targeting method performs better: audience or contextual advertising? We've said in the past that the combination of audience and contextual buying work better together, and now we have some new insight into how advertisers are thinking about these tools.
We worked with Forrester Consulting and surveyed 150 interactive marketers to evaluate their perceptions on the effectiveness of combining audience & contextual targeting with respect to display buying. The findings from the new whitepaper, Display Media Buyers Value Audience in Context, will be presented today (10AMPT/1PMET) during a special joint Learn with Google webinar featuring Forrester’s Joanna O’Connell and Google’s Woojin Kim. Register here!
Key findings from the research include:
- 50% of respondents use a full range of targeting types including: Remarketing, Demographic, Behavioral and Contextual
- Contextual and behavioral targeting dominate: Used by the vast majority - 82% in the case of contextual, 71% in the case for behavioral
- 94% of marketers combine contextual & audience buying for higher performance and greater accuracy
- Audience targeting has become the norm in display buying: The majority of marketers se bullish on audience targeting, and few see it as overhyped.
- Most marketers plan on maintaining increasing spend on combined audience & contextual targeting.
Posted by Katie Hamilton, Product Marketing Manager Google Display Network