We looked back at basketball search trends to see how Google would have performed if it had submitted a bracket for the past few tournaments. We've had our hits and misses over the years but in the spirit of the games and curiosity, we’ve decided to reveal our picks for the 2012 tournament based on search volume. Check back often to see how we’re doing.
Along with our official bracket, we’ve collected all the ways you can use Google to make your selections and stay connected with your teams and fellow fans throughout the tournament. Explore the full list on our College Hoops 2012 page.
- Join ESPN college basketball analyst Doug Gottlieb, along with fellow fans, in a series of hangouts beginning March 21 on the ESPN Google+ page to discuss bracket picks, game highlights and who the experts think will win “the big dance.”
- We’ve created a college hoops circle of NCAA teams you can follow on Google+. Whether a fan of +Kentucky, +Syracuse, +UNC or +Michigan State, you can stay up-to-date on your team and join players and coaches in a hangout.
- Keep up with your bracket picks by searching for [march madness] or individual teams like [duke basketball] to see real-time scores and schedules for the tournament.
- Download a complimentary copy of the Zagat guide Winning Hangouts for College Basketball Fans to find a place to watch the games and cheer on your favorite teams. The guide features trusted ratings and reviews for restaurants, sports bars and gastropubs in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New Orleans, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago and Washington, D.C.
- Since chances are you can’t physically fly to every game around the U.S., take a virtual tour of the tournament locations via a customized map overlay in Google Earth and watch this video of 3D models of the stadiums where your favorite teams will be playing.
Posted by Lauren Gellman, Product Marketing Manager